The science or the technique used to make a classification.
A classification; especially , a classification in a hierarchical system.
(taxonomy, uncountable) The science of finding, describing, classifying and naming organisms.
* alpha taxonomy
* folk taxonomy
* scientific taxonomy
Harmless; producing no ill effect.
* 1892 , , A Footnote to History , ch. 9:
* 1910 , , The Lair of the White Worm , ch. 11:
- The shells fell for the most part innocuous ; an eyewitness saw children at play beside the flaming houses; not a soul was injured.
- Other things, too, there were, not less deadly though seemingly innocuous —dried fungi, traps intended for birds, beasts, fishes, reptiles, and insects.
, date=September 2
, title=Wales 2-1 Montenegro
, passage=As the half closed Bale and Ledley both went close with good efforts, but Bellamy picked up a yellow card for an innocuous
challenge that also rules the new Liverpool man out of the trip to Wembley.}}
Inoffensive; unprovocative; not exceptional.
* 1893 , , Mrs. Falchion , ch. 12:
* 1910 , , The Intrusion of Jimmy , ch. 28:
- Ruth Devlin announced that the song must wait, though it appeared to be innocuous and child-like in its sentiments.
- He sat down, and lighted a cigarette, casting about the while for an innocuous topic of conversation.
* innoxious, nonpoisonous, nontoxic
* (inoffensive) uncontroversial