Incompatible vs Incongruous - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Incompatible is a related term of incongruous.
As adjectives the difference between incompatible and incongruous
is that incompatible
is of two things: that cannot coexist; not congruous because of differences; irreconcilable; disagreeing while incongruous
is not similar or congruent; not matching or fitting in.
As a noun incompatible
is (medicine|chemistry|chiefly|in the plural) an incompatible substance; one of a group of things that cannot be placed or used together because of a change of chemical composition or opposing medicinal qualities.
Of two things: that cannot coexist; not congruous because of differences; irreconcilable; disagreeing.
(chemistry) Incapable of being together without mutual reaction or decomposition, as certain medicines.
(medicine, chemistry, chiefly, in the plural) An incompatible substance; one of a group of things that cannot be placed or used together because of a change of chemical composition or opposing medicinal qualities.
- the incompatibles of iron
Not similar or congruent; not matching or fitting in.
* 1853 , , Villette , ch. 34:
- [P]erhaps he thought me, with my basket of summer fruit, and my lack of the dignity age confers, an incongruous figure in such a scene.
* 1912 , , A Son Of The Sun m ch. 1:
- Ona was blue-eyed and fair, while Jurgis had great black eyes with beetling brows, and thick black hair that curled in waves about his ears—in short, they were one of those incongruous and impossible married couples with which Mother Nature so often wills to confound all prophets.
* 2014 , Daniel Taylor, England and Wayne Rooney see off Scotland in their own back yard'' (in ''The Guardian , 18 November 2014)[http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/nov/18/scotland-england-international-friendly-match-report]
- Ardent suns had likewise tanned his face till it was swarthy as a Spaniard's. The yellow mustache appeared incongruous in the midst of such swarthiness.
(math) Of two numbers, with respect to a third, such that their difference can not be divided by it without a remainder.
- For a few moments England toyed with the idea of making it a more difficult night than necessary. Scotland had scored a goal that seemed incongruous to the rest of their performance and, briefly, a fiercely partisan crowd sensed an improbable comeback.
- 20 and 25 are incongruous with respect to 4.