Alien vs Incompatible - What's the difference?
Alien is a synonym of incompatible.
As a verb alien
As an adjective incompatible is
of two things: that cannot coexist; not congruous because of differences; irreconcilable; disagreeing.
As a noun incompatible is
(medicine|chemistry|chiefly|in the plural) an incompatible substance; one of a group of things that cannot be placed or used together because of a change of chemical composition or opposing medicinal qualities.
A person, animal, plant, or other thing which is from outside the family, group, organization, or territory under consideration.
A foreigner residing in a country.
* 1773 , William Blackstone, Commentaries on the laws of England: in four books, Volume 1 (Fifth Edition) , page 372
* 1831 , John Marshall, Cherokee Nation v. Georgia , U.S. Government
- An alien born may purchase lands, or other estates: but not for his own use; for the king is thereupon entitled to them.
* 2004 , Wesley Campbell, Stephen Court, Be a hero: the battle for mercy and social justice , Destiny Image Publishers, page 74
- The counsel have shown conclusively that they are not a state of the union, and have insisted that individually they are aliens , not owing allegiance to the United States.
Any life form of extraterrestrial origin.
One excluded from certain privileges; one alienated or estranged.
* Bible, Ephes. ii. 12
- Aliens are aliens because of persecution or war or hardship or famine.
- Aliens from the common wealth of Israel.
* See also
Pertaining to an alien.
Not belonging to the same country, land, or government, or to the citizens or subjects thereof; foreign.
Very unfamiliar, strange, or removed.
- alien subjects, enemies, property, or shores
- principles alien to our religion
- An alien sound of melancholy.
To estrange; to alienate.
(legal) To transfer the ownership of something.
Of two things: that cannot coexist; not congruous because of differences; irreconcilable; disagreeing.
(chemistry) Incapable of being together without mutual reaction or decomposition, as certain medicines.
(medicine, chemistry, chiefly, in the plural) An incompatible substance; one of a group of things that cannot be placed or used together because of a change of chemical composition or opposing medicinal qualities.
- the incompatibles of iron