not positive or neutral
(physics) of electrical charge of an electron and related particles
(mathematics) of number, less than zero
(linguistics, logic) denying a proposition
damaging; undesirable; unfavourable
- The high exchange rate will have a negative effect on our profits.
pessimistic; not tending to see the bright side of things. (Often used pejoratively.)
- Customers didn't like it: feedback was mostly negative .
Of or relating to a photographic image in which the colours of the original, and the relations of right and left, are reversed.
(chemistry) metalloidal; nonmetallic; contrasted with positive or basic.
- I don't like to hang around him very much because he can be so negative about his petty problems.
(New Age jargon) (pejorative) bad, unwanted, disagreeable, potentially damaging, to be avoided, unpleasant, difficult, painful; (often precedes 'energy', 'feeling', 'emotion' or 'thought').
* 2009 , Christopher Johns, Becoming a Reflective Practitioner , John Wiley & Sons,
- The nitro group is negative .
* 2011 , Joe Vitale, The Key: the missing secret for attracting anything you want , Body, Mind & Spirit, [http://books.google.com.au/books?id=hf5qEW9n_fsC&pg=PT109&dq=positive+feelings&hl=en&sa=X&ei=MkX-T8PQCo6KmQXjr4GhBQ&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=unwanted%20feelings&f=false]
- Negative' feelings can be worked through and their energy converted into positive energy... In crisis, normal patterns of self-organization fail, resulting in anxiety (' negative energy).
* 2011 , Anne Jones, Healing Negative Energies , Hachette,
- The threat of negative feelings may seem very real, but they are nothing more than mirages... Allow the unwanted feelings to evaporate and dissolve as the mirages that they are.
- If you have been badly affected by negative' energy a salt bath is wonderful for clearing and cleansing yourself... Salt attracts ' negative energy and will draw it away from you.
* (damaging) undesirable
* (mathematics) nonnegative
* (linguistics) affirmative
* negative number
* negative integer
* negative polarity item
* negative repetition
* negative Nancy
* negative verb
* negative zero
refusal or withholding of assents; veto, prohibition
* 1843 , '', book 2, ch. XV, ''Practical — Devotional
(legal) a right of veto
* 1787 , , cited in The Constitutional Convention Of 1787: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia Of America's Founding (2005), Volume 1,
- Geoffrey Riddell , a great builder himself, disliked the request; could not however give it a negative .
* 1788 , Alexander Hamilton,
- And as to the Constitutionality of laws, that point will come before the Judges in their proper official character. In this character they have a negative on the laws.
* 1983 ,
- The qualified negative' of the President differs widely from this absolute ' negative of the British sovereign; [...]
(photography) an image in which dark areas represent light ones, and the converse
(grammar) a word that indicates negation
(mathematics) a negative quantity
(weightlifting): A rep performed with weight in which the muscle begins at maximum contraction and is slowly extended; a movement performed using only the eccentric phase of muscle movement.
The negative plate of a voltaic or electrolytic cell.
- In the convention there does not seem to have been much diversity of opinion on the subject of the propriety of giving to the president a negative on the laws.
* double negative
* L. T. Meade, The Palace Beautiful
* J. H. Riddell, Old Mrs Jones
- Poppy earnestly begged to be allowed to go with Jasmine on the roof, but this the good lady negatived with horror.
- At one time an idea got abroad that the whole tale of her fortune had been a myth; negatived the truth of this statement.
Not appropriate; not suitable for the situation, time, and/or place.
- It is inappropriate to burp at a formal dinner.
- "While PDA or sexual irresponsibility may be considered unsuitable, it is not inappropriate for teenagers in a relationship and nearly of legal age to talk alone."
* out of line