As adjectives the difference between fictitious and hypothetical
is that fictitious
is not real; invented; contrived while hypothetical
is based upon a hypothesis; conjectural.
As a noun hypothetical is
a hypothetical situation or proposition.
Not real; invented; contrived.
- St. Mary Mead is a fictitious village from the books of Agatha Christie.
* imaginary, invented, contrived, fictive
Based upon a hypothesis; conjectural
(philosophy) conditional; contingent upon some hypothesis/antecedent
* (contingent upon some hypothesis) conditional
* (actual) actual
* (in philosophy) categorical
A hypothetical situation or proposition
- These hypotheticals serve no purpose until we have more information.