(poetic, historical, archaic)
* Bible, Daniel iii. 21
*1877 , Golden Hours:
- These men were bound in their coats, their hosen , and their hats, and their other garments.
*1979 , George G. Coulton, Five centuries of religion: The last days of medieval monachism :
- And I hoped that in youth the good path may be chosen By each little man who may chance wear these hosen .
*2009 , Jeffrey L. Forgeng, Daily Life in Elizabethan England :
- It has crept up the leg and become hose, and it is made no longer of leather but of cloth. Gradually these hosen became longer and longer, until they joined at the top into one garment, which betrayed its dual origin by keeping the plural [...]
*2014 , Geoffrey Chaucer, The Canterbury Tales and Other Poems :
- Francis the Schoolboy Margaret, give me my hosen ; dispatch I pray you.
Coverings for the legs; trousers; pants.
*1857 , The Eclectic Magazine of Foreign Literature, Science, and Art:
- [...] and the shape of the horrible swollen members, that seem like to the malady of hernia, in the wrapping of their hosen , and eke the buttocks of them, [...]
*1862 , Gustav Freytag, Pictures of German Life in the XVth,XVIth, and XVIIth Centuries :
- At the court of the Kaiser I born was and bred ; and there my hosen and jerkin were made ; […]
*1990 , Ellen J. Gehret, Rural Pennsylvania Clothing :
- Then I searched the pocket of my hosen and found a little knife, such as could be closed, which they had not chosen to take, [...]
*2004 , Margaret Frazer, The Hunter's Tale :
- They differed in the length of the leg but were generally similar in the cut at the top. ... By 1770, they bought new hosen .
*2005 , Adam McCune, Keith McCune, The Rats of Hamelin :
- And the doublet is long enough it hid most of the blood-spattered part of my hosen and they were dark enough the blood didn't much show after I'd rubbed some dirt over them.
*2009 , The Old Testament Made Easier:
- The invisible cord ... I followed him down a narrow path with a rippling lake of grain on each side, wheat stalks brushing my hosen .
*2014 , Karen Chance, Masks :
- Then these men were bound in their coats, their hosen [pants, trousers], and their hats, and their other garments, […]
- These hosen have saggy butt.” “Don't touch yourself,” Paulo hissed, slapping Jerome's hand away. “I wasn't touching myself, I was trying to pull up these damned—” “Don't touch your clothing, either! Don't touch anything!”