to get in the way of; to hinder
* See also
* assist, help
* expede (obsolete)
* hindre (archaic)
From (etyl) hindrian, from (etyl) .
To make difficult to accomplish; to frustrate, act as obstacle.
- A drought hinders the growth of plants.
, date=December 10
, author=David Ornstein
, title=Arsenal 1 - 0 Everton
, work=BBC Sport
, passage=Arsenal were playing without a recognised full-back - their defence comprising four centre-halves - and the lack of width was hindering
* 1599 , act ii, scene 2 (act i; First Folio ed.):
To keep back; to delay or impede; to prevent.
* 1591 , act ii, scene 7 (First Folio ed.):
- Since God ?o graciou?ly hath brought to light
This dangerous Trea?on, lurking in our way,
To hinder our beginnings.
* John Locke
- Then let me goe, and hinder not my cour?e
(obsolete) To cause harm.
- What hinders younger brothers, being fathers of families, from having the same right?
* (to delay or impede movement) bar, block, delay, hamper, impede, obstruct, restrain, stop
* (to make a task difficult) delay, frustrate, hamper, impede, obstruct, prevent, thwart
* See also
* (to delay or impede movement) aid, assist, help
* (to make a task difficult) assist, expedite, facilitate, help
Of or belonging to that part or end which is in the rear or hind, or which follows.
- the hinder end of a wagon
* 1990 - C. W. H. Havard (ed.), Black's Medical Dictionary , 36th edition, p 673
- the hinder parts of a horse
- On a line dividing the front two-thirds from the hinder one-third, and set in the shape of a V, is a row of seven to twelve large flat-topped circumvallate papillae, ...
Most current uses of this adjective occur in anatomical contexts.
* (of or belonging to that part in the rear) back, hind, rear, posterior
* (of or belonging to that part in the rear) fore, front
(slang, euphemistic) The buttocks.
* 1997 , Richard Laliberte and Stephen C. George, The Men's Health Guide to Peak Conditioning [http://books.google.com/books?id=2MOrDKokat8C], ISBN 0875963234, page 195:
- Like martial arts, in-line skating is predicated on the notion that sooner or later you're going to end up on your hinder .