Of or pertaining to the practices and institutions that legitimize and privilege heterosexuality, heterosexual relationships, and traditional gender roles as fundamental and "natural" within society.
- Much of the language used when discussing wedding planning is heteronormative , which can alienate homosexual couples.
, year = 1997
, month = Summer
, title = “Stop Reading Films!”: Film Studies, Close Analysis, and Gay Pornography
, first = John
, last = Champagne
, journal = (Cinema Journal
, issn = 0009-7101
, volume = 36
, issue = 4
, jstor = 1225614
, page = 82
, passage = This suggests both that film studies can be heteronormative
even when it is analyzing homosexual representations and that close textual analysis is itself structured by heterosexual presumptions and assumptions.
, date = 1998-02-28
, chapter = Philadelphia
: AIDS, Representation, Organization
, first = Ruth
, last = Holliday
, title = Organization-Representation: Work and Organizations in Popular Culture
, editors = John Hassard, Ruth Holliday
, publisher = SAGE
, isbn = 9780761953920
, ol = 8030203M
, page = 102
, pageurl = http://books.google.com/books?id=OEFuP4LgavAC&pg=PA102&dq=heteronormative
, passage = In the same way, homosexuality and bisexuality will always be seen as problematic in heteronormative
To alter so as to be consistent with heteronormativity; render heteronormative.
* 1999 : Debra Moddelmog, Reading Desire: In Pursuit of Ernest Hemingway ,
page 88] ([http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/cup_detail.taf?ti_id=3239 Cornell University Press; ISBN 9780801486357)
* 2004 : Joan Wallach Scott and Debra Keates, Going Public: Feminism and the Shifting Boundaries of the Private Sphere ,
- As dismayed as I am with Jenks’s editing, it is not, of course, fair to say that he completely heteronormalized Hemingway’s text[.]
page 58 (illustrated edition; University of Illinois Press; ISBN 025202964X, 9780252029646)
* 2005 : Afsaneh Najmabadi, Women with Mustaches and Men without Beards: Gender and Sexual Anxieties of Iranian Modernity ,
- That modernist efforts to heteronormalize Iranian society have not focused on the production of the homosexual as a type has had significant repercussions on yet another level.
page 54 (illustrated edition, annotated; University of California Press; ISBN 0520242629, 9780520242623)
* 2007, April: Susan Driver, Queer Girls and Popular Culture: Reading, Resisting, and Creating Media ,
- Heterosocial European cultural practices, in other words, heteronormalized Iranian men’s sensibilities.
page 209 (illustrated edition; Peter Lang; ISBN 0820479365, 9780820479361)
* 2007, September: Mark Bevir, Jill Hargis, and Sara Rushing, Histories of Postmodernism ,
- Kearney reveals not only how riot grrrls became exoticized as young sexy “punkettes,” commodifying their surface appearances, but also how they are repeatedly heteronormalized as straight girls.
page 245 (Routledge; ISBN 0415956137, 9780415956130)
- In other words, he ontologizes the symbolic and heteronormalizes us.