Hemp vs Canvas - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between hemp and canvas
is that hemp
is a tall annual herb, cannabis sativa
, native to asia while canvas
is a type of coarse cloth, woven from hemp, useful for making sails and tents or as a surface for paintings.
As a verb canvas is
to cover an area or object with canvas.
A tall annual herb, Cannabis sativa , native to Asia.
Various products of this plant, including fibres and the drug cannabis.
) (see usage notes
A type of coarse cloth, woven from hemp, useful for making sails and tents or as a surface for paintings.
* 1882 , James Edwin Thorold Rogers, A History of Agriculture and Prices in England , Volume 4, p. 556.
A piece of canvas cloth stretched across a frame on which one may paint.
A basis for creative work.
- The term canvas is very widely used, as well to denote the coarse fabrics employed for kitchen use, as for strainers, and wraps for meat, as for the best quality of ordinary table and shirting linen. \
(computer graphics) A region on which graphics can be rendered.
(nautical) sails in general
- The author takes rural midwestern life as a canvas for a series of tightly woven character studies .
A painting, or a picture on canvas.
- He spent the night under canvas .
A rough draft or model of a song, air, or other literary or musical composition; especially one to show a poet the measure of the verses he is to make.
- Light, rich as that which glows on the canvas of Claude.
The plural is used in the UK and most UK-influenced areas.
To cover an area or object with canvas.