Prevented vs Healed - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between prevented and healed
is that prevented
) while healed
To stop; to keep (from happening).
- I brushed my teeth to prevent them from going yellow.
, date=October 1
, author=Tom Fordyce
, title=Rugby World Cup 2011: England 16-12 Scotland
, work=BBC Sport
, passage=Scotland must now hope Georgia produce a huge upset and beat Argentina by at least eight points in Sunday's final Pool B match to prevent
them failing to make the last eight for the first time in World Cup history.}}
* 1897 , Henry James, What Maisie Knew :
(obsolete) To come before; to precede.
* Bible, 1 Thess. iv. 15
- ‘I think you must be mad, and she shall not have a glimpse of it while I'm here to prevent !’
* Book of Common Prayer
- We which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
- We pray thee that thy grace may always prevent and follow us.
(obsolete) To outdo, surpass.
* 1596 , Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene , IV.i:
- Then had I come, preventing Sheba's queen.
(obsolete) To be beforehand with; to anticipate.
* Alexander Pope
- With that he put his spurres vnto his steed, / With speare in rest, and toward him did fare, / Like shaft out of a bow preuenting speed.
- their ready guilt preventing thy commands
* See also
From (etyl) helen, hilen, from (etyl) . Related to (l), (l).
* (l), (l)
* (l) (Scotland)
To hide; conceal; keep secret.
To cover, as for protection.
From (etyl) helen, from (etyl) . More at (l).
To make better from a disease, wound, etc.; to revive or cure.
* Bible, Matthew viii. 8
- This bandage will heal your cut.
To become better.
- Speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed .
To reconcile, as a breach or difference; to make whole; to free from guilt.
- Bandages allow cuts to heal .
- to heal dissensions
* (make better) cure, make whole
* (become better) get better, recover
* healand, Healand