Hazed vs Hayed - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between hazed and hayed
is that hazed
) while hayed
As an adjective hazed
is affected by haze; hazy.
Affected by haze; hazy.
* 1923 , (editor), Collected Scientific Papers of John Aitken, LL.D., F.R.S.
* 2004 , Matthew McGuire, Dreams Of Hope ,
- With W., N.W., and N. winds the air is very clear, whereas from all other directions it is very much hazed'. All winds from E. by S. to SW are nearly ten times more ' hazed than those from the NW quadrant.
* 2008 , A. J. Hampton, Hostile Devotions ,
- The images of reality become more and more hazed , more and more dim. Hibernation pulls him away. Floating, the nightmare returns.
(of a photograph) Clouded, especially due to accidental exposure to light.
(Australia, slang) Drunk.
- As she rocked against him, she couldn?t stop watching his murky eyes grow even more hazed .
(etyl) (m), from (etyl) . More at (l).
(uncountable) Grass cut and dried for use as animal fodder.
* C. L. Flint
- Make hay while the sun shines.
(countable) Any mix of green leafy plants used for fodder.
(slang) Cannabis; marijuana.
* 1947 , William Burroughs, letter, 19 Feb 1947:
- Hay may be dried too much as well as too little.
A net set around the haunt of an animal, especially a rabbit.
- I would like some of that hay . Enclose $20.
(obsolete) A hedge.
(obsolete) A circular country dance.
- to dance the hay
* hay fever
* hayloft, hay loft
* hit the hay
* make hay while the sun shines
To cut grasses or herb plants for use as animal fodder.
To lay snares for rabbits.
Webster's Online Dictionary article on hay
: From the sound it represents, by analogy with other letters such as kay'' and ''gay''. The expected form in English if the ''h'' had survived in the Latin name of the letter "h", ''h? .
The name of the letter for the h sound in Pitman shorthand.