Experiencing the effect of favourable fortune; having the feeling arising from the consciousness of well-being or of enjoyment; enjoying good of any kind, as peace, tranquillity, comfort; contented; joyous.
* 1769 , Oxford Standard text, , 144, xv,
* 1777 , (Alexander Pope), An Essay on Man in Four Epistles: Argument of Epistle II'', in ''The Poetical Works of Alexander Pope, Esq , Volume III,
- Happy' is that people, that is in such a case: yea, ' happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.
- The learn'd is happy' nature to explore, / The fool is ' happy that he knows no more ;
Favored by luck or fortune; lucky.
* 1661 , (Robert Boyle), (The Sceptical Chymist) , 2006, Elibron Classics (imprint),
- Music makes me feel happy .
Dexterous; ready; apt; felicitous.
* 1761 , (Jonathan Swift), A Complete Collection of Genteel and Ingenious Conversation'': Introduction, in ''The works of Dr Jonathan Swift , Volume VII,
- I may presume that what I have hitherto discoursed will induce you to think, that chymists have been much more happy in finding experiments than the causes of them; or in assigning the principles by which they may best be explained.
Content, satisfied (with or to do something); having no objection (to something).
- For instance, one lady can give an an?wer better than a?k a que?tion : one gentleman is happy at a reply ; another excels in a rejoinder : one can revive a langui?hing conver?ation by a ?udden ?urpri?ing ?entence ;.
- Are you happy to pay me back by the end of the week?
(As a suffix to a noun) favouring or inclined to use, as in trigger-happy.
- Are you happy with your internet service provider?
, date=August 21
, author=Jason Heller
, title=The Darkness: Hot Cakes
, work=The Onion AV Club
, passage=“Baby, I was a loser / Several years on the dole / An Englishman with a very high voice / Doing rock ’n’ roll,” sings falsetto-happy
frontman Justin Hawkins at the start of “Every Inch Of You,” Hot Cakes
* Said of expedients, efforts, ventures, omens, etc.
* (experiencing the effect of favorable fortune) Said of people, hours, thoughts, times, etc.
* (favored by luck) lucky, fortunate, prosperous, cheerful, content, delighted, elated, exultant, orgasmic
* unpleasant, displeasing, unenjoyable
* happy as a lark
* happy as a pig in shit
* happy as Larry
* happy bunny
* happy chappy
* happy families
* happy family
* happy hour
* happy slapping
* happy talk