Mercury vs Halogen - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between mercury and halogen
is that mercury
is (dated) a carrier of tidings; a newsboy; a messenger while halogen
is halogen (any element of group 7).
As a proper noun mercury
is (roman god) the roman god associated with speed, sometimes used as a messenger he wore winged sandals mercury corresponded to the greek god hermes.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
# A silvery-colored, toxic, metallic chemical element, liquid at room temperature, with atomic number 80 and symbol Hg.
# (science, historical) One of the elemental principles formerly thought to be present in all metals.
# The mercury as used in a barometer or thermometer; ambient temperature.
# (obsolete) Liveliness, volatility.
#* Bishop Burnet
- The mercury there has averaged 37.6C, 2.3C above the February norm.
# An annual plant, Mercurialis annua , formerly grown for its medicinal properties; French mercury.
#* 1653 , (Nicholas Culpeper), The English Physician Enlarged , Folio Society 2007, p. 188:
- He was so full of mercury that he could not fix long in any friendship, or to any design.
# A similar edible plant, Chenopodium bonus-henricus , otherwise known as English mercury or allgood.
# (US, regional) The poison oak or poison ivy.
- Towards the tops of the stalks and branches come forth at every joint in the male Mercury two small round green heads, standing together upon a short footstalk, which growing ripe are the seeds, not having any flower.
* azoth (in alchemy )
* hydrargyrum (in medical and sometimes chemical use )
* quicksilver (not in technical use )
* argental mercury
* cadmium mercury cell
* fulminate of mercury
* mercury arc, mercury arc rectifier, mercury arc valve
* mercury bichloride, mercury dichloride
* mercury cadmium telluride
* mercury dichloride
* mercury fulminate
* mercury gilding
* mercury goosefoot
* mercury lamp
* mercury perchloride
* mercury poisoning
* mercury pool
* mercury protochloride
* mercury rust
* mercury selenide
* mercury sulfide, mercury sulphide
* mercury switch
* mercury thermometer
* mercury vapor lamp, mercury vapour lamp
* mercury vapor pump, mercury vapour pump
* mercury vapor rectifier, mercury vapour rectifier
* red mercury
* blue mass
* corrosive sublimate
* Good King Henry
* thimerosal, thiomersal
(chemistry) Any element of group 7, i.e. fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine and astatine, which form a salt by direct union with a metal.