of (etyl) origin. English equivalent: Guy
(US, slang, pejorative, ethnic slur) a young, lower class or working class Italian-American or Italian-Canadian male from an urban environment.
(US, slang, pejorative) A clothing style associated with the stereotype.
* Carries the connotation of a person who is humorously uncultured and has a thuggish and overtly macho attitude and an unyielding pride in his ancestry. Common in Northeast areas such as Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Staten Island, New Jersey, South Philadelphia, Baltimore, Boston, Rhode Island and Southwest Connecticut.
* The fashion style includes gold or platinum chains, diamond stud earrings, plain T-shirts or muscle shirts, tracksuits, pompadours, slicked-back hair, or hairstyles
* (person of Italian descent) dago
* (person of Italian descent) Eyetie
* (person of Italian descent) goombah
* (person of Italian descent) greaseball
* (person of Italian descent) guinea
* (person of Italian descent) wog
* (person of Italian descent) wop
* guido, guidette, Guidette
A musical instrument made of a hollow gourd with parallel notches cut in one side, and played by rubbing a stick or scraper ("pua") along the notches to produce a ratchet-like sound.
* 2006 , Thomas Pynchon, Against the Day , Vintage 2007, p. 721:
- The house band consisted of gigantic guitars, fiddles, trumpets, and accordion, with rhythms provided by a batería including timbales, guiros , and congas.
agbe, shekere, ralabazo, ruayo, ralladera, rascador, güira