Sanguinary vs Grim - What's the difference?
As an adjective sanguinary
) attended with bloodshed.
As a noun sanguinary
is a bloodthirsty person.
As a proper noun grim is
, probably derived from old english grimm' or old norse '''grimr''' or ' grimmr
(label) Attended with bloodshed.
* 1625 , , "Unity in Religion"
* 1887 , :
- We may not propagate religion by wars, or by sanguinary persecutions to force consciences.
(label) Eager to shed blood; bloodthirsty.
- " every one of which took its rise from some noble family that succeeded in grasping the purple after a sanguinary struggle."
* 1877 , Samuel Green, The Life of Mahomet: Founder of the Religion of Islamism and of the Empire of the Saracens with Notices of the History of Islamism and of Arabia ,
- Passion makes us brutal and sanguinary .
(label) Consisting of, covered with, or similar in appearance to blood.
* 1913 , :
- "The defence set up for Mahomet is equally availing for every sanguinary and revengeful tyrant; "
- Here is the premeditation, the thrill, the strain of accumulating victory or disaster—and no smashed nor sanguinary bodies , that we who are old enough to remember a real modern war know to be the reality of belligerence.
* Not to be confused with (sanguine). (term) means “optimistic”, while (term) means “bloodthirsty, gory”.
* (attended with bloodshed) bloody, gory
* (eager to shed blood) bloodthirsty, bloody-minded, butcherous, slaughterous
* bloody, gory
A bloodthirsty person.
The plant yarrow, or herba sanguinaria .
dismal and gloomy, cold and forbidding
rigid and unrelenting
- Life was grim in many northern industrial towns.
ghastly or sinister
- His grim determination enabled him to win.
* 2012 March 22, Scott Tobias, “
- A grim castle overshadowed the village.
The Hunger Games''”, in ''AV Club :
(UK, slang) disgusting; gross
- In movie terms, it suggests Paul Verhoeven in Robocop/Starship Troopers mode, an R-rated bloodbath where the grim spectacle of children murdering each other on television is bread-and-circuses for the age of reality TV, enforced by a totalitarian regime to keep the masses at bay.
- Wanna see the dead rat I found in my fridge? —Mate, that is grim !