As nouns the difference between taxonomy and graze
is that taxonomy
is the science or the technique used to make a classification while graze
is the act of grazing; a scratching or injuring lightly on passing.
As a verb graze is
to feed or supply (cattle, sheep, etc) with grass; to furnish pasture for.
The science or the technique used to make a classification.
A classification; especially , a classification in a hierarchical system.
(taxonomy, uncountable) The science of finding, describing, classifying and naming organisms.
* alpha taxonomy
* folk taxonomy
* scientific taxonomy
The act of grazing; a scratching or injuring lightly on passing.
A light abrasion; a slight scratch.
To feed or supply (cattle, sheep, etc.) with grass; to furnish pasture for.
* Jonathan Swift
* 1999:' Although it is perfectly good meadowland, none of the villagers has ever '''grazed animals on the meadow on the other side of the wall. — ''Stardust , Neil Gaiman, page 4 (2001 Perennial Edition).
(ambitransitive) To feed on; to eat (growing herbage); to eat grass from (a pasture); to browse.
- a field or two to graze his cows
* Alexander Pope
- Cattle graze in the meadows.
* 1993 , John Montroll, Origami Inside-Out (page 41)
- The lambs with wolves shall graze the verdant mead.
To tend (cattle, etc.) while grazing.
- The bird [Canada goose] is more often found on land than other waterfowl because of its love for seeds and grains. The long neck is well adapted for grazing .
To rub or touch lightly the surface of (a thing) in passing.
- when Jacob grazed his uncle Laban's sheep
* 1851 ,
- the bullet grazed the wall
To cause a slight wound to; to scratch.
- But in that gale, the port, the land, is that ship’s direst jeopardy; she must fly all hospitality; one touch of land, though it but graze the keel, would make her shudder through and through.
To yield grass for grazing.
* Francis Bacon
- to graze one's knee
- The sewers must be kept so as the water may not stay too long in the spring; for then the ground continueth the wet, whereby it will never graze to purpose that year.