Relax vs Goof - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between relax and goof
is that relax
is to calm down while goof
is (us) to make a mistake.
As a noun goof is
(us) a mistake or error,.
To calm down.
To make something loose.
- to relax''' a rope or cord; to '''relax the muscles or sinews
To become loose.
To make something less severe or tense.
- Horror all his joints relaxed .
To become less severe or tense.
To make something (such as codes and regulations) more lenient.
* Jonathan Swift
- to relax''' discipline; to '''relax one's attention or endeavours
- The stature of mortmain was at several times relaxed by the legislature.
, author=Edward Corwin
, title=The Constitution of the United States of America: Analysis and Interpretation
, chapter=Section 2. Jurisdiction
, passage=The Court rejected the contention that the doctrine of sovereign immunity should be relaxed as inapplicable to suits for specific relief as distinguished from damage suits, saying: "The Government, as representative of the community as a whole, cannot be stopped in its tracks by any plaintiff who presents a disputed question of property or contract right."}}
(of codes and regulations) To become more lenient.
To relieve (something) from stress.
(dated) To relieve from constipation; to loosen; to open.
- Amusement relaxes the mind.
- An aperient relaxes the bowels.
* stress, excite
(US) A mistake or error,
# (US, cinematography) An error made during production which finds its way into the final release.
(US) A foolish and/or silly person; a goofball.
- I made a goof in that last calculation.
A child molester.
- Your little brother is a total goof .
* (error) blooper, boo-boo, error, faux pas, fluff, gaffe, lapse, mistake, slip, stumble, thinko
* See also
(US) To make a mistake.
(US) To engage in mischief.
- It's my fault: I goofed.
- We were just goofing by painting the neighbors cat green.
* See also
(terms derived from goof)
* goof around
* goof off
* goof up