Gulf vs Goof - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between gulf and goof
is that gulf
is a hollow place in the earth; an abyss; a deep chasm or basin while goof
is (us) a mistake or error,.
As a verb goof is
(us) to make a mistake.
* gulph (obsolete)
A hollow place in the earth; an abyss; a deep chasm or basin.
* Bible, Luke xvi. 26
- He then surveyed / Hell and the gulf between.
(obsolete) That which swallows; the gullet.
* 1606 , , IV. i. 23:
- Between us and you there is a great gulf fixed.
That which swallows irretrievably; a whirlpool; a sucking eddy.
- Witch's mummy, maw and gulf / Of the ravined salt sea shark,
(geography) A portion of an ocean or sea extending into the land; a partially landlocked sea; as, the Gulf of Mexico or Persian Gulf.
(mining) A large deposit of ore in a lode.
A difference, especially a large difference, between groups
- a gulf of ruin, swallowing gold
, date=September 7
, author=Phil McNulty
, title=Moldova 0-5 England
, work=BBC Sport
, passage=England were graphically illustrating the huge gulf
in class between the sides and it was no surprise when Lampard added the second just before the half hour. Steven Gerrard found his Liverpool team-mate Glen Johnson and Lampard arrived in the area with perfect timing to glide a header beyond Namasco.}}
* Gulf Coast
* Gulf Stream
* Gulf War
(US) A mistake or error,
# (US, cinematography) An error made during production which finds its way into the final release.
(US) A foolish and/or silly person; a goofball.
- I made a goof in that last calculation.
A child molester.
- Your little brother is a total goof .
* (error) blooper, boo-boo, error, faux pas, fluff, gaffe, lapse, mistake, slip, stumble, thinko
* See also
(US) To make a mistake.
(US) To engage in mischief.
- It's my fault: I goofed.
- We were just goofing by painting the neighbors cat green.
* See also
(terms derived from goof)
* goof around
* goof off
* goof up