Nayed vs Gayed - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between nayed and gayed
is that nayed
) while gayed
or even, or more like, or should I say. Introduces a stronger and more appropriate expression than the preceding one.
* His face was dirty, nay filthy.
* 1663 ,
* 1748 . David Hume. Enquiries concerning the human understanding and concerning the principles of moral. London: Oxford University Press, 1973. § 18.
- [...] And proved not only horse, but cows, / Nay pigs, were of the elder house: / For beasts, when man was but a piece / Of earth himself, did th' earth possess.
- And even in our wildest and most wandering reveries, nay in our very dreams, we shall find, if we reflect, that the imagination ran not altogether at adventures,
A vote against.
A person who voted against.
- I vote nay , even though the motion is popular, because I would rather be right than popular.
- The vote is 4 in favor and 20 opposed, the nays have it.
(obsolete) To refuse.
(en proper noun
, originally a nickname for a cheerful or lively person.
from the word gay, "joyful"; rare today.
. Also a shortened form of Gabriel, Gaylord and similar names, or transferred from the surname.
* 1992 , Unto the Sons , Ballantine Books 1993, ISBN 0804110336, page 15
* 2004 , Bad Dirt , Fourth Estate, ISBN 0007196911, page 32
- - - - my father's father, Gaetano Talese ( whose name I inherited after my birth in 1932, in the anglicized from of "Gay "), was an atypically fearless traveler,
- "Mr Gay Brawls. What a name."
- "It didn't use to mean what it means now. Plenty were named Gay'. Even in Nevada. Was old ' Gay Pitch had a gas station in Winnemucca. Nobody thought nothin about it and he raised a railroad car of kids.- - -