Taxonomy vs Gainstay - What's the difference?
As a noun taxonomy
is the science or the technique used to make a classification.
As a verb gainstay is
to stand against or in opposition to; resist; oppose.
The science or the technique used to make a classification.
A classification; especially , a classification in a hierarchical system.
(taxonomy, uncountable) The science of finding, describing, classifying and naming organisms.
* alpha taxonomy
* folk taxonomy
* scientific taxonomy
To stand against or in opposition to; resist; oppose.
*1983 , Bill McAdoo, Pre-Civil War Black Nationalism :
*1998 , Randall Roorda, Dramas of solitude: narratives of retreat in American nature writing :
- Among the diversity of opinions that are entertained in regard to physical resistance, there are but a few found to gainstay that stern delcaration.
*2004 , William Hill, Wizard Sword :
- But this stance informs the way I regard the student essays I surveyed earlier, my belief that however challenging I may be in provoking interpretations of Thoreau, I ought not to gainstay my students' own Thoreauvian productions,
To deny (the right to); deprive (of).
*1926 , Theosophical Society (Madras, India), The Theosophist :
- " [...] Then I dare not gainstay you, Devin. I just wish to bring out the best in such a noble son of Zenn-Ra."
*1998 , Nancy Ann Watanabe, Love eclipsed: Joyce Carol Oates's Faustian moral vision :
- [...] it was intended to be, a living fire of force in the world that cannot be gainstayed and which no storms can shake.
- An illiterate woman, Mai-ch'en's wife is not gainstayed the benefit of the doubt.