Four vs Fourish - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between four and fourish
is that four
is (countable) the digit or figure 4; an occurrence thereof while fourish
is (colloquial) any time close to four o'clock.
As a numeral four
is (cardinal) a numerical value equal to ; the number after three and before five; two plus two this many dots (••••).
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
(cardinal) A numerical value equal to ; the number after three and before five; two plus two. This many dots (••••)
- There are four seasons: winter, spring, summer and autumn.
Describing a set or group with four components.
- Venters began to count them—one—two—three—four —on up to sixteen.
* on all fours
* back four
* four horsemen
* four hundred
* four-leaf clover
* four-letter word
* four of a kind
* four-post bed
* four square
* four-wheel drive
* Last: three, 3
* Next: five, 5
(countable) The digit or figure 4; an occurrence thereof.
(countable) Anything measuring four units, as length.
A person who is four years old.
- Do you have any more fours ? I want to make this a little taller.
(cricket, countable) An event whereby a batsman hits a ball which bounces on the ground before passing over a boundary in the air, resulting in an award of 4 runs for the batting team. If the ball does not bounce before passing over the boundary, a six is awarded instead.
(rowing) Quadruple sculls.
(obsolete) A four-pennyworth of spirits.
* 1887 , Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet , IV:
- I'll take the threes, fours and fives and go to the playground.
- I was a-strollin' down, thinkin' between ourselves how uncommon handy a four of gin hot would be, when suddenly the glint of a light caught my eye in the window of that same house.
(Symbols of number four in various numeral systems)
* (Arabic numerals): 4
* (Chinese numerals): ?, ?
* (Greek numerals): (uppercase) ??, (lowercase) ??
* (Roman numerals): IV or IIII
(colloquial) Any time close to four o'clock.