Ghoul vs Fiend - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between ghoul and fiend
is that ghoul
is (mythology|folklore) a spirit said to feed on corpses while fiend
is (obsolete) an enemy, unfriend, or foe.
(mythology, folklore) A spirit said to feed on corpses.
* 1927 — ,
A person with an undue interest in death and corpses.
- The other chamber had shown a pack of ghouls and witches over-running the world of our forefathers, but this one brought the horror right into our own daily life!.
* Portuguese: (l)
(obsolete) An enemy, unfriend, or foe.
(religious, archaic) The enemy of mankind, specifically, the Devil; Satan.
* 1971 , , Religion and the Decline of Magic , Folio Society 2012, p. 35:
A devil or demon; a malignant or diabolical being; an evil spirit.
* 1845 , E.A. Poe, "The Raven"
- At the confirmation ceremony the bishop would lay his hands on the child and tie around its forehead a linen band […]. This was believed to strengthen him against the assaults of the fiend […].
A very evil person
(informal) An addict or fanatic
- "Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend! "
- a jazz fiend
* dope fiend