As an adjective putrid
is rotting, rotten, being in a state of putrefaction.
As a verb fester is
to become septic; to become rotten.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
Rotting, rotten, being in a state of putrefaction.
of, relating to, or characteristic of putrefaction, especially having a bad smell, like that of rotting flesh.
* Nouns to which "putrid" is often applied: smell, odor, flesh, matter, meat.
* putrid fever
* putrid sore throat
To become septic; to become rotten.
To worsen, especially due to lack of attention.
- Wounds immedicable / Rankle, and fester , and gangrene.
- Deal with the problem immediately; do not let it fester .
To cause to fester or rankle.
- Hatred festered in the hearts of the children of the soil.
- For which I burnt in inward, swelt'ring hate, / And fester'd rankling malice in my breast.