Affirmative vs Favorable - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between affirmative and favorable
is that affirmative
is pertaining to truth; asserting that something is
; affirming while favorable
is pleasing, encouraging or approving.
As a noun affirmative
is yes; an answer that shows agreement or acceptance.
pertaining to truth; asserting that something is ; affirming
pertaining to any assertion or active confirmation that favors a particular result
- an affirmative answer
- an affirmative vote
- an act affirmative of common law
(logic) Expressing the agreement of the two terms of a proposition.
(algebra) positive; not negative
- Lysicles was a little disconcerted by the affirmative air of Crito.
* affirmative action
Yes; an answer that shows agreement or acceptance.
- That's an affirmative Houston, the space shuttle has lost the secondary thrusters.
(grammatical terminology) An answer that shows agreement or acceptance.
(obsolete) An assertion.
* 1646 , Sir Thomas Browne, Pseudodoxia Epidemica , III.17:
- 10-4 good buddy. That's an affirmative - the tractor trailer is in the ditch at the side of the highway.
- that every hare is both male and female, beside the vulgar opinion, was the affirmative of Archelaus, of Plutarch, Philostratus, and many more.
* affirmative sentence
pleasing, encouraging or approving
useful or helpful
- The candidate wearing the business suite made a favorable impression.
convenient or at a suitable time; opportune
- We made quick progress, due to favorable winds.
auspicious or lucky
- The rain stopped at a favourable time for our tennis match.
- She says that she was born under a favorable star.
* (pleasing ): approving, encouraging, good, pleasing
* (useful ): advantageous, helpful, useful
* (opportune ): convenient, good, handy, opportune, suitable
* (auspicious ): auspicious, fortunate, lucky
* (pleasing ): bad, discouraging, displeasing, unfavorable
* (useful ): unhelpful
* (opportune ): bad, inconvenient, inopportune, unsuitable
* (auspicious ): inauspicious, unfavourable, unlucky