Esteem vs Existimation - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between esteem and existimation
is that esteem
is favourable regard while existimation
is opinion, esteem or judgment.
As a verb esteem
is to set a high value on; to regard with respect or reverence.
* esteeme (obsolete)
To set a high value on; to regard with respect or reverence.
* Bible, Job xxxvi. 19
- Will he esteem thy riches?
To regard something as valuable; to prize.
To look upon something in a particular way.
- You talk kindlier: we esteem you for it.
* Bible, Deuteronomy xxxii. 15
- Mary is an esteemed member of the community.
* Bishop Gardiner
- Then he forsook God, which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.
- Thou shouldst (gentle reader) esteem his censure and authority to be of the more weighty credence.
* 1843 , '', book 3, ch. V, ''The English
- Famous men, whose scientific attainments were esteemed hardly less than supernatural.
(obsolete) To judge; to estimate; to appraise
- And greatly do I respect the solid character, — a blockhead, thou wilt say; yes, but a well- conditioned blockhead, and the best-conditioned, — who esteems all ‘Customs once solemnly acknowledged’ to be ultimate, divine, and the rule for a man to walk by, nothing doubting, not inquiring farther.
- The Earth, which I esteem unable to reflect the rays of the Sun.
Opinion, esteem or judgment.
* 1918 , R. Robinson (translator), Thomas More (author), Utopia :
- Then if a man in such a company, where some disdain and have despite at other men's inventions, and some count their own best, if among such men (I say) a man should bring forth anything, that he hath read done in times past, or that he hath seen done in other places: there the hearers fare as though the whole'' existimation ''of their wisdom were in jeopardy to be overthrown, and that ever after they should be counted for very fools, unless they could in other men's inventions pick out matter to reprehend, and find fault at.
* esteem, opinion, reputation
* Utopia . New York: PF Collier and Son. p150