As verbs the difference between fester and exacerbate
is that fester
is to become septic; to become rotten while exacerbate
is to make worse (pain, anger, etc); aggravate.
To become septic; to become rotten.
To worsen, especially due to lack of attention.
- Wounds immedicable / Rankle, and fester , and gangrene.
- Deal with the problem immediately; do not let it fester .
To cause to fester or rankle.
- Hatred festered in the hearts of the children of the soil.
- For which I burnt in inward, swelt'ring hate, / And fester'd rankling malice in my breast.
To make worse (pain, anger, etc.); aggravate.
* 2013 , Louise Taylor, English talent gets left behind as Premier League keeps importing'' (in ''The Guardian , 20 August 2013)[http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/19/english-talent-premier-league-importing]
- The proposed shutdown would exacerbate unemployment problems.
- The reasons for this growing disconnect are myriad and complex but the situation is exacerbated by the reality that those English players who do smash through our game's "glass ceiling" command radically inflated transfer fees.