Summit vs Essence - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between summit and essence
is that summit
is (countable) a peak; the top of a mountain while essence
)the inherent nature of a thing or idea.
As a verb summit
is (transitive|hiking|climbing|colloquial) to reach the summit of a mountain.
(countable) A peak; the top of a mountain.
(countable) A gathering or assembly of leaders.
- In summer, it is possible to hike to the summit of Mt. Shasta.
- They met for an international summit on environmental issues.
Colloquially summit' is used for only the highest point of a mountain, while in mountaineering any point that is higher than surrounding points is a '''summit , such as the South Summit of (Mount Everest). These are distinguished by (topographic prominence) as ''subsummits'' (low prominence) or ''independent summits (high prominence).
* acme, apex, peak, zenith
(transitive, hiking, climbing, colloquial) To reach the summit of a mountain.
* 2012 , Kenza Moller, "Eyes on the North," Canadian Geographic , vol. 132, no. 4 (July/Aug.) p. 10:
- Of the range's 12 peaks, Mount Saskatchewan is the only one that has yet to be summited .
(senseid)The inherent nature of a thing or idea.
- The laws are at present, both in form and essence , the greatest curse that society labours under.
- Gifts and alms are the expressions, not the essence of this virtue [charity].
(philosophy) The true nature of anything, not accidental or illusory.
- The essence of Addison's humour is irony.
A being; especially, a purely spiritual being.
- Uncompounded is their essence pure.
* Washington Irving
- As far as gods and heavenly essences / Can perish.
A significant feature of something.
The concentrated form of a plant or drug obtained through a distillation process.
* essence of Jojoba
Fragrance, a perfume.
* Alexander Pope
- He had been indulging in fanciful speculations on spiritual essences , until he had an ideal world of his own around him.
- Nor let the essences exhale.
* in essence
* of the essence; time is of the essence