Entertainment vs Fun - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between entertainment and fun
is that entertainment
is an activity designed to give pleasure or relaxation to an audience, no matter whether the audience participates passively as in watching opera or a movie, or actively as in games while fun
is amusement, enjoyment or pleasure.
As a adjective fun is
(informal) enjoyable, amusing.
As a verb fun is
(colloquial) to tease, kid, poke fun at, make fun of.
* entretainment (chiefly archaic)
An activity designed to give pleasure, enjoyment, diversion, amusement, or relaxation to an audience, no matter whether the audience participates passively as in watching opera or a movie, or actively as in games.
a show put on for the enjoyment or amusement of others
(obsolete) maintenance or support
Admission into service; service.
(obsolete) Payment of soldiers or servants; wages.
- The entertainment of the general upon his first arrival was but six shillings and eight pence.
(informal) enjoyable, amusing
- We had a fun time at the party.
(informal) whimsical, flamboyant
- He is such a fun person to be with.
- This year's fashion style is much more fun than recent seasons.
* Note that the use of fun as an adjective is often considered unacceptable in formal contexts. For more on the slang comparative and superlative, the use of which is disputed, see
amusement, enjoyment or pleasure
* 2000 , Robert Stanley, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Adobe Photoshop 6 , Alpha Books, page 377
playful, often noisy, activity.
- Grafting your boss's face onto the hind end of a donkey is fun, but serious fun is when you create the impossible and it looks real.
* amusement, diversion, enjoyment, a laugh, pleasure
* boisterousness, horseplay, rough and tumble
* for the fun of it
* fun and games
* fun bags
* fun run, fun runner, fun running
* good fun
* great fun
* have fun
* have fun with
* in fun
* like fun
* make fun of
* poke fun at
(colloquial) To tease, kid, poke fun at, make fun of.
- Hey, don't get bent out of shape over it; I was just funning you.