As verbs the difference between affiance and engages
is that affiance
is to be betrothed to; to promise to marry while engages
As a noun affiance
is faith, trust.
* affiaunce (obsolete)
To be betrothed to; to promise to marry.
*:All other outward shewes and exterior apparences are common to all religions: As hope, affiance , events, ceremonies, penitence and martyrdome.
* Sir J. Stephen
- Such feelings promptly yielded to his habitual affiance in the divine love.
(archaic) A solemn engagement, especially a pledge of marriage.
* 1590 , (Edmund Spenser), The Faerie Queene , II.iv:
- Lancelot, my Lancelot, thou in whom I have / Most joy and most affiance .
- I that Ladie to my spouse had wonne; / Accord of friends, consent of parents sought, / Affiance made, my happinesse begonne.
- This pedal engages the clutch, until you do that you can't shift.