Enclosure vs Sheepfold - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between enclosure and sheepfold
is that enclosure
is (countable) something enclosed, ie inserted into a letter or similar package while sheepfold
is an enclosure for keeping sheep.
(countable) Something enclosed, i.e. inserted into a letter or similar package.
(uncountable) The act of enclosing, i.e. the insertion or inclusion of an item in a letter or package.
- There was an enclosure with the letter — a photo.
(countable) An area, domain, or amount of something partially or entirely enclosed by barriers.
- ''The enclosure of a photo with your letter is appreciated.
- He faced punishment for creating the fenced enclosure in a public park.
- The glass enclosure holds the mercury vapor.
(uncountable) The act of separating and surrounding an area, domain, or amount of something with a barrier.
- The winning horse was first into the unsaddling enclosure .
- The enclosure of public land is against the law.
- The experiment requires the enclosure of mercury vapor in a glass tube.
(uncountable, British History) The post-feudal process of subdivision of common lands for individual ownership.
- At first, untrained horses resist enclosure .
The area of a convent, monastery, etc where access is restricted to community members.
- Strip-farming disappeared after enclosure .
* For more on the spelling of this word, see (m).
An enclosure for keeping sheep.