(obsolete) A shoplifter.
* 1704 , John Dunton, The Athenian Oracle , Athenian Society, Volume III,
To steal something from a shop / store during trading hours.
* 2004 May 17, Andrew Sean Greer, The New Yorker ,
To steal from shops / stores during trading hours.
* 1938 April, William Peery, Thank Rotary!'', ''The Rotarian ,
- She taught Maddy to sing in Portuguese, to shoplift mascara, to play a drinking game called Spoons
* 1969 October, Gwendolyn Midlo Hall, Mechanisms for Exploiting the Black Community'', '' ,
- Once, before we had juvenile court here, I made the mistake of putting on probation a boy who had shoplifted , a boy of good family. That boy later shot a man.
* 2002 November 25, The New Yorker ,
- Thus, the teacher shook down the kids, the big kids shook down the little kids, the little kids shoplifted to get money, etc''., ''etc .
- In other words, New York is a better place to shoplift .
* shop steal (Australia)
one who steals money they have been trusted with, especially from one's employer; one who embezzles
* 1667, Samuel Pepys, Diary
* 2003, Will and Grace (TV, episode 5.23)
- It appears that Hogg is the eeriest rogue, the most observable embezzler , that ever was known.
- At the time, I was deeply involved with the handsome embezzler who led a major telecom company into bankruptcy.