Helen vs Elaina - What's the difference?
As proper nouns the difference between helen and elaina
is that helen
is , a french type variant of helena while elaina
is , a modern variant of elaine.
(Greek mythology) the daughter of Zeus and Leda, considered to be the most beautiful woman in the world; her abduction by Paris brought about the Trojan War.
* 1602 William Shakespeare, Troilus and Cressida , Act I, Scene I
- Fools on both sides! Helen must needs be fair,
* 1928 , The Mystery of the Blue Train
- When with your blood you daily paint her thus.
- "Is her name Ellen or Helen , Miss Viner? I thought - "
- Miss Viner closed her eyes.
* 1993 , The Fourteen Sisters of Emilio Montez O'Brien , ISBN 0-14-023028-9, page 6:
- "I can sound my h's, dear, as well as anyone, but Helen is not a suitable name for a servant. I don't know what the mothers in the lower classes are coming to nowadays."
* 2003 , A Share in Death'', HarperCollins, ISBN 0060534389, page 189
- - - - in 1910 she brought Helen' into the world, the little female, or "''mujercita''", as her mother called all the babies, naming her after the glittery label on a facial ointment, The ' Helen of Troy Beauty Pomade, said to eradicate wrinkles, to soften and add a youthful glow to the user's skin - a fortuitous choice because, of all the sisters, she would be the most beautiful and, never growing old, would always possess the face of a winsome adolescent beauty.
- Gemma followed her, thinking that Helen seemed rather an old-fashioned and elegant name for this rumpled young mother.
(en proper noun
, a modern variant of Elaine.
* 1999 , The Icarus Hunt , Bantam Books, ISBN 055310702X, page 262:
- I shrugged. "I know our alleged computer specialist Tera is your daughter Elaina Tera Cameron," I said.