* 1848 , John Bunyan and Robert Philip, The Greatness of the Soul: And the Unspeakableness of the Loss Thereof , page 29, T. Nelson
* 1909 , John Fryer and William Crooke, A New Account of East India and Persia: Being Nine Years' Travels, 1672-1681 , page 92, Hakluyt Society
- How many things have men found out to the amazing of one another, to the wonderment of one another, to the begetting of endless commendations of one another in the world
* 1996 August 5, Tim Behrendsen, "Tim Behrendsen Lost and Spaced THE FINAL TRY", rec.games.computer.quake.misc, Usenet
- Fancies to be persuaded of the confused Articulation of Multitudes met as in a Fair, conversing and making a chattering, to the amazing of them all.
* 1997 November 30, Sir Frederick, "Pro-Mormons are amazing also", alt.religion.mormon.fellowship, Usenet
- Amazing is judged relative what already exists, and Quake has the best underwater effects so far.
* 1999 July 13, Irma Dobkin and Mary Jo Peterson, Gracious Spaces , page xix, McGraw-Hill Professional
- Reality, especially God's Reality is amazing. For instance that there is something rather than nothing is amazing. [... ] Amazing is amazing.
* 2000 March 24, "Shadow", "Return of the Fulgore Rant!", alt.fan.dragons, Usenet
- The amazing is happening.
* 2001 February 3, Brian, "D3 weird FPS", alt.games.descent Usenet
- All that is impossibly amazing is considered nothing, and the impossibly amazing is considered normal.
* 2003 June 23, Thomas Bernhard, Three Novellas , page 31, University of Chicago Press
- The amazing is that, in EXACTLY the same situation, the demo2 doesn't show this problem.
* 2004 October 23, MgClearwater, "George says: Joe and Brian stay..", alt.sports.baseball.ny-yankees, Usenet
- Everything that amazes has its method, until we notice that the amazing is not amazing, has no method.
* 2006 May 16, Simon Baird, "monkeyGTD is amazing- a few questions and suggestions", GTD TiddlyWiki, Google goups
- Sheffield is an amazing athlete, how much of the amazing is provided from the Chemlab.
- Cool! Of course 99% of the amazing is due to the "powered by TiddlyWiki" part of MonkeyGTD.. :)
Causing wonder and amazement; possessing uniquely wonderful qualities.
Exceptional, conspicuous, outstanding, most usually in a negative fashion.
* 16thC , ,
- The student has made egregious errors on the examination.
* c1605 , , Act 2, Scene 3,
- I cannot cross my arms, or sigh "Ah me," / "Ah me forlorn!" egregious foppery! / I cannot buss thy fill, play with thy hair, / Swearing by Jove, "Thou art most debonnaire!"
* 22 March 2012 , Scott Tobias, AV Club The Hunger Games [http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-hunger-games,71293/]
- My lord, you give me most egregious indignity.
Outrageously bad; shocking.
- When the goal is simply to be as faithful as possible to the material—as if a movie were a marriage, and a rights contract the vow—the best result is a skillful abridgment, one that hits all the important marks without losing anything egregious .
The negative meaning arose in the late 16th century, probably originating in sarcasm. Before that, it meant outstanding in a good way. Webster also gives “distinguished” as an archaic form, and notes that its present form often has an unpleasant connotation (e.g., "an egregious error" ). It generally precedes such epithets as “rogue,” “rascal,” "ass," “blunderer”.