As nouns the difference between nihilism and egoism
is that nihilism
is (philosophy) a philosophical doctrine grounded on the negation of one or more meaningful aspects of life while egoism
(philosophy) A philosophical doctrine grounded on the negation of one or more meaningful aspects of life.
(ethics) The rejection of inherent or objective moral principles.
(politics) The rejection of non-rationalized or non-proven assertions in the social and political spheres of society.
(politics, historical) A Russian movement of the 1860s that rejected all authority and promoted the use of violence for political change.
The belief that all endeavors are ultimately futile and devoid of meaning.
Contradiction (not always deliberate) between behavior and espoused principle, to such a degree that all possible espoused principle is voided.
The deliberate refusal of belief, to the point that belief itself is rejected as untenable.
- "...the band members sweat hard enough to earn their pretensions, and maybe even their nihilism " (rock critic Dave Marsh, reviewing the band XTC's album Go )
* (belief that all endeavours are void ) fatalism
The tendency to think selfishly with exclusive self-interest in mind.
(ethics) The belief that moral behavior should be directed toward one's self-interest only.
(nonstandard, by confusion of the similar words) egotism
* (tendency to think of self) selfishness
* (tendency to think of self) altruism
* misanthropy (hatred of human race)