Stupid vs Duncelike - What's the difference?
As adjectives the difference between stupid and duncelike
is that stupid
is lacking in intelligence or exhibiting the quality of having been done by someone lacking in intelligence while duncelike
is resembling a dunce or some aspect of one; foolish, stupid.
As an adverb stupid
is (slang|dated) extremely.
As a noun stupid
is a stupid person; a fool.
Lacking in intelligence or exhibiting the quality of having been done by someone lacking in intelligence.
To the point of stupor.
- Because it's a big stupid jellyfish!
(archaic) Characterized by or in a state of stupor; paralysed.
* 1702 Alexander Pope, Sappho 128:
- Neurobiology bores me stupid .
(archaic) Lacking sensation; inanimate; destitute of consciousness; insensate.
* 1744 George Berkeley, Siris §190:
- No sigh to rise, no tear had pow'r to flow, Fix'd in a stupid lethargy of woe.
- Were it not for [fire], the whole wou'd be one great stupid inanimate mass.
(slang) damn, annoying, darn
- That dunk was stupid! His head was above the rim!
- I fell over the stupid wire.
* dense, dumb, retarded, unintelligent
* (especially in the Caribbean) stupidy
* See also
(slang, dated) Extremely.
- My gear is stupid fly.
A stupid person; a fool.
* 1910 , , ‘The Strategist’, Reginald in Russia :
* 1922 , Elizabeth G. Young, Homestead ranch
- ‘You stupid !’ screamed the girls, ‘we've got to guess the word.’
* 1996 , Anita Rau Badamim, Tamarind Mem
- "What a stupid I am!" Harry exclaimed, as she watched the man ride away in the distance.
1000 English basic words
- At least those stupids got their money's worth out of this country before they burnt their lungs out.
Resembling a dunce or some aspect of one; foolish, stupid.