Hobo vs Drifter - What's the difference?
As a noun drifter is
(pejorative) a person who moves from place to place or job to job.
A homeless, usually penniless person, in some way associated with a life along the rails.
A migratory laborer
(pejorative) A tramp, vagabond; hence bum
* Often used attributively, as if an adjective. For example, "hobo stew", "he was leading a hobo life."
* See also
* hobo spider
* hobo stove
To be a hobo, tramp, bum etc.
- Joe idly hoboed''' through half the country till he realized ' hoboing never gets you anywhere in life.
(pejorative) A person who moves from place to place or job to job.
(nautical) A type of lightweight sail used in light winds like a spinnaker.
* 1995 , Ken Textor, The New Book of Sail Trim (page 85)
* 1999 , Lin Pardey, ?Larry Pardey, Cost Conscious Cruiser: Champagne Cruising on a Beer Budget
- In winds above 10 knots we usually run wing-and-wing with our 100 percent lapper set on a whisker pole opposite the mainsail. As the wind drops, we get out the drifter and set it flying to leeward (Fig. 1).
* 2000 , Jim Howard, ?Charles J. Doane, Handbook of Offshore Cruising (page 178)
- After trying a variety of light-wind sails, we've found the most versatile and simple one to be a nylon drifter .
(automotive) A driver who uses driving techniques to modify vehicle traction to cause a vehicle to slide or power slide rather than drive in line with the tires.
* 2006 , Paul Morton, How to Drift: The Art of Oversteer (page 32)
- Some people recommend a medium- to lightweight 140- or 150-percent headsail, and others go for a drifter /reacher.
* 2007 , Calvin Wan, Calvin Wan's Drifting Performance Handbook (page 132)
- However, sensing the available traction may actually be more important to a drifter .
* 2009 , Michael Bender, The Fast, the Fraudulent and the Fatal (page 50)
- For professional drifters looking for even more fine-tuning of their suspension setups, some companies offer more advanced two-way adjustable shocks
- While this method is used by a few drifters in rear-wheel drive cars, this technique is really the only way one can drift in a front-wheel drive car.