Support vs Dotation - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between support and dotation
is that support
is something which supports often used attributively, as a complement or supplement to while dotation
is the act of endowing, or bestowing a marriage portion on a woman.
As a verb support
)to keep from falling.
Something which supports. Often used attributively, as a complement or supplement to.
Financial or other help.
- Don't move that beam! It's a support for the whole platform.
- The government provides support to the arts in several ways.
, date=December 19
, author=Kerry Brown
, title=Kim Jong-il obituary
, work=The Guardian
, passage=Kim was educated at the newly founded university in Pyongyang, named after his father, graduating in 1964. The 1960s and early 1970s were the golden years for the DPRK. It undertook rapid industrialisation, economically outstripped its southern competitor, and enjoyed the support
of both the People's Republic of China, and the Soviet Union.}}
Answers to questions and resolution of problems regarding something sold.
(mathematics) in relation to a function, the set of points where the function is not zero, or the closure of that set.
* 2004 , Amara Graps,
- Sure they sell the product, but do they provide support ?
An Introduction to Wavelets''] — [http://www.amara.com/IEEEwave/IW_history.html ''Historical Perspective
(fuzzy set theory) A set whose elements are at least partially included in a given fuzzy set (i.e., whose grade of membership in that fuzzy set is strictly greater than zero).
- The first mention of wavelets appeared in an appendix to the thesis of A. Haar (1909). One property of the Haar wavelet is that it has compact support, which means that it vanishes outside of a finite interval. Unfortunately, Haar wavelets are not continuously differentiable which somewhat limits their applications.
- If the membership function of a fuzzy set is continuous, then that fuzzy set's support is an open set.
* (mathematics) kernel
* moral support
* combat support (military)
* support group
(senseid)To keep from falling.
To answer questions and resolve problems regarding something sold.
- Don’t move that beam! It supports the whole platform.
To back a cause, party etc. mentally or with concrete aid.
- Sure they sell the product, but do they support it?
To help, particularly financially.
- I support France in the World Cup
To verify; to make good; to substantiate; to establish; to sustain.
- The government supports the arts in several ways.
- The testimony is not sufficient to support the charges.
* J. Edwards
- The evidence will not support the statements or allegations.
To serve, as in a customer-oriented mindset; to give support to.
- to urge such arguments, as though they were sufficient to support and demonstrate a whole scheme of moral philosophy
- The IT Department supports the research organization, but not the sales force.
To be accountable for, or involved with, but not responsible for.
- I don't make decisions: I just support those who do.
(archaic) To endure without being overcome; bear; undergo; to tolerate.
- I support the administrative activities of the executive branch of the organization
* 1881 , :
- This fierce demeanour and his insolence / The patience of a god could not support .
To assume and carry successfully, as the part of an actor; to represent or act; to sustain.
- For a strong affection such moments are worth supporting , and they will end well; for your advocate is in your lover's heart and speaks her own language
- to support the character of King Lear
The act of endowing, or bestowing a marriage portion on a woman.
Endowment; establishment of funds for support, as of a hospital or eleemosynary corporation.
- As to eleemosynary corporations, by the dotation the founder and his heirs are of common right the legal visitors...