Direct vs Directions - What's the difference?
As an adjective direct
is straight, constant, without interruption.
As an adverb direct
As a verb direct
is to manage, control, steer.
As a noun directions is
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
Straight, constant, without interruption.
Straight; not crooked, oblique, or circuitous; leading by the short or shortest way to a point or end.
- the most direct route between two buildings
Immediate; express; plain; unambiguous.
* John Locke
- Be even and direct with me.
- He nowhere, that I know, says it in direct words.
In the line of descent; not collateral.
- a direct and avowed interference with elections
(astronomy) In the direction of the general planetary motion, or from west to east; in the order of the signs; not retrograde; said of the motion of a celestial body.
- a descendant in the direct line
* direct action
* direct current
* direct flight
* direct initiative
* direct object
* direct quote
* 2009 , Hilary Mantel, Wolf Hall , Fourth Estate 2010, p. 346:
- Presumably Mary is to carry messages that she, Anne, is too delicate to convey direct .
To manage, control, steer.
To aim (something) at (something else).
- to direct the affairs of a nation or the movements of an army
- They directed their fire towards the men on the wall.
To point out or show to (somebody) the right course or way; to guide, as by pointing out the way.
- He directed his question to the room in general.
- He directed me to the left-hand road.
To point out to with authority; to instruct as a superior; to order.
- the next points to which I will direct your attention
- She directed them to leave immediately.
(dated) To put a direction or address upon; to mark with the name and residence of the person to whom anything is sent.
- I'll first direct my men what they shall do.
- to direct a letter
(pluralonly) Instructions for how to reach a destination or how to do something
- Please follow the attached directions when assembling these shelves.
- I got so lost on my way downtown I had to ask for directions .