Fragmented, in separate pieces.
# Fractured; having the bone in pieces.
- My arm is broken !
# (label) Split or ruptured.
- the ground was littered with broken bones
# Dashed, made up of short lines with small gaps between each one and the next.
# (label) Interrupted; not continuous.
#* (rfdate), , White Fang :
- A dog bit my leg and now the skin is broken .
# Five-eighths to seven-eighths obscured by clouds; incompletely covered by clouds.
- Then the circle would lie down again, and here and there a wolf would resume its broken nap.
Breeched; violated; not kept.
- Tomorrow: broken skies.
Non-functional; not functioning properly.
- broken''' promises of neutrality'', '''''broken''' vows'', ''the '''broken covenant
# Disconnected, no longer open or carrying traffic.
# Badly designed or implemented.
- I think my doorbell broken .
# Grammatically non-standard, especially as a result of being a non-native speaker.
# Not having gone in the way intended; saddening.
- This is the most broken application I've seen in a long time.
Completely defeated and dispirited; shattered; destroyed.
- Oh man! That is just broken !
Having no money; bankrupt, broke.
- The bankruptcy and divorce, together with the death of his son, left him completely broken .
* 2005 , Will Cook, Until Darkness Disappears , page 54:
Overpowered; overly powerful; too powerful.
- All that day they rode into broken land. The prairie with its grass and rolling hills was behind them, and they entered a sparse, dry, rocky country, full of draws and short cañons and ominous buttresses.
* Nouns to which "broken" is often applied: glass, vase, cup, mirror, window, bone, wing, leg, arm, hand, foot, heart, egg, tool, sword, column, road, bridge, stick, device, machine, camera, TV, car, computer, promise, vow, law, trust, dream, relationship, friendship, love, family, marriage, bond, tie, silence, ground, land, circle, image, language, spirit, soul.
* a broken clock is right twice a day
* broken home
* broken arrow
* broken by design
* broken language, broken English
* broken heart, brokenhearted
* broken in
* broken promise
* broken wind
* broken skin
Having fallen into a state of disrepair or deterioration, especially through neglect
* beat up
* beaten up