Deep awareness of the suffering of another, coupled with the wish to relieve it
* 1849 , Robert Leighton (Archbishop of Glasgow), A practical commentary upon the first Epistle of St. Peter (page 47)
- Oh! the unspeakable privilege to have Him for our Father, who is the Father of mercies and compassions , and those not barren, fruitless pityings, for He is withal the God of all consolations.
* empathy, pity, ruth, tenderheartedness, sorrow
* kindness, heart, mercy
* compassion fatigue
(obsolete) To pity.
* 1607 , , IV. i. 124:
- O heavens, can you hear a good man groan / And not relent, or not compassion him?
A quality or state worthy of esteem and respect.
* 1752 , (Henry Fielding), , I. viii
* 1981 , African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights , art. 5
- He uttered this ... with great majesty, or, as he called it, dignity .
* 2008 , Federal Ethics Committee on Non-Human Biotechnology (ECNH) [Switzerland]
- Every individual shall have the right to the respect of the dignity inherent in a human being.
Decorum, formality, stateliness.
* 1934 , Aldous Huxley, "Puerto Barrios", in Beyond the Mexique Bay :
- 'The dignity' of living beings with regard to plants: Moral consideration of plants for their own sake', 3: ... the ECNH has been expected to make proposals from an ethical perspective to concretise the constitutional term ' dignity of living beings with regard to plants.
Dignity of Plants
High office, rank, or station.
* 1781 , Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire , F. III. 231:
- Official DIGNITY tends to increase in inverse ratio to the importance of the country in which the office is held.
[Columbia World of Quotations 1996.]
- He ... distributed the civil and military dignities among his favourites and followers.
One holding high rank; a dignitary.
* Bible, Jude 8.
- And the king said, What honour and dignity hath been done to Mordecai for this?
(obsolete) Fundamental principle; axiom; maxim.
* Sir Thomas Browne
- These filthy dreamers speak evil of dignities .
- Sciences concluding from dignities , and principles known by themselves.
* augustness, humanness, nobility, majesty, grandeur, glory, superiority, wonderfulness