Essence vs Diesel - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between essence and diesel
is that essence
)the inherent nature of a thing or idea while diesel
is diesel fuel.
(senseid)The inherent nature of a thing or idea.
- The laws are at present, both in form and essence , the greatest curse that society labours under.
- Gifts and alms are the expressions, not the essence of this virtue [charity].
(philosophy) The true nature of anything, not accidental or illusory.
- The essence of Addison's humour is irony.
A being; especially, a purely spiritual being.
- Uncompounded is their essence pure.
* Washington Irving
- As far as gods and heavenly essences / Can perish.
A significant feature of something.
The concentrated form of a plant or drug obtained through a distillation process.
* essence of Jojoba
Fragrance, a perfume.
* Alexander Pope
- He had been indulging in fanciful speculations on spiritual essences , until he had an ideal world of his own around him.
- Nor let the essences exhale.
* in essence
* of the essence; time is of the essence
A fuel derived from petroleum (or other oils) but heavier than gasoline/petrol. Used to power diesel engines which burn this fuel using the heat produced when air is compressed
A vehicle powered by a diesel engine
(UK, slang) snakebite and black
To ignite a substance by using the heat generated by compression
(automotive) For a spark-ignition internal combustion engine to continue running after the electrical current to the spark plugs has been turned off. This occurs when there's enough heat in the combustion chamber to ignite the air/fuel without a spark, the same way heat and pressure cause ignition in a diesel engine.
- The only reason the VW bug has a solenoid is to prevent it from dieseling .
* red diesel
* diesel engine
* diesel knock