Predilection vs Dereliction - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between predilection and dereliction
is that predilection
is predilection while dereliction
is willful neglect of one's duty.
Condition of favoring or liking; tendency towards; proclivity; predisposition.
* 1987 , Edwin M. Yoder Jr., "Lewis Powell a Fine Sense of Balance," Washington Post , 29 Jun.,
* 2000 , Terry McCarthy, "Lost Generation," Time Asia , 23 Oct.,
- But for him the first rule of judging was to set aside personal predilection and vote the law and the facts.
* 2001 , Marina Cantacuzino, "On deadly ground," The Guardian , 13 Mar.,
- ... youth’s predilection for revolt.
- Wilson doesn’t see any inconsistency between his socialism and his predilection for the high life.
willful neglect of one's duty
- The new soldier did not clean his cabin and was scolded for dereliction and disobedience.
the act of abandoning something, or the state of being abandoned
- What he did was a terrible dereliction of duty.