Rend vs Demolish - What's the difference?
| Related terms
Rend is a related term of demolish.
As verbs the difference between rend and demolish
is that rend
is to separate into parts with force or sudden violence; to tear asunder; to split; to burst while demolish
is to destroy; to destruct.
To separate into parts with force or sudden violence; to tear asunder; to split; to burst
- Powder rends a rock in blasting.
* 1610 , , act 1 scene 2
- Lightning rends an oak.
* 1970 , Alvin Toffler, Future Shock'', ''Bantam Books , pg. 317:
- If thou more murmur'st, I will rend an oak / And peg thee in his knotty entrails till / Thou hast howl'd away twelve winters.
To part or tear off forcibly; to take away by force.
To be rent or torn; to become parted; to separate; to split.
- We are most vulnerable now to the messages of the new subcults, to the claims and counterclaims that rend the air.
- Relationships may rend if tempers flare.
- Rending of garments for shiva is a Jewish tradition.
To destroy; to destruct.
(figuratively) To utterly defeat.
- They demolished the old house and put up four townhouses.
, date=October 2
, author=Kevin Core
, title=Fulham 6 - 0 QPR
, work=BBC Sport
, passage=Andrew Johnson scored a hat-trick as Fulham demolished
London rivals Queens Park Rangers to win their Premier League fixture of the season.}}
* See also