Depends vs Demands - What's the difference?
As verbs the difference between depends and demands
is that depends
is while demands
As a noun demands is
To hang down; to be sustained by being fastened or attached to something above.
* 1851 , Herman Melville, Moby-Dick :
* 1982 , Paul Fussell, My War :
- The long rows of teeth on the bulwarks glistened in the moonlight; and like the white ivory tusks of some huge elephant, vast curving icicles depended from the bows.
To hang in suspense; to be pending; to be undetermined or undecided; as, a cause depending in court.
To rely on for support; to be conditioned or contingent; to be connected with anything, as a cause of existence, or as a necessary condition; — followed by on or upon, formerly by of.
(senseid)To trust; to rest with confidence; to rely; to confide; to be certain; — with on or upon; as, we depend on the word or assurance of our friends; we depend on the mail at the usual hour.
To serve; to attend; to act as a dependent or retainer.
- Besides, if you worked up to be a cadet officer, you got to wear a Sam Browne belt, from which depended a nifty saber.
* See for uses and meaning of demands collocated with these words.