As a noun delimiter
is that which delimits, that separates.
As a verb unstring is
to remove the string or strings from.
That which delimits, that separates.
- This comma delimited file has commas as the delimiter , separating each field of the file.
To remove the string or strings from.
:Unstring the bows before storing them.
To shake the nerves of; to cause anxiety or panic in.
* Robert Louis Stevenson, Olalla
* Clifton Johnson, Battleground Adventures
- The sight of his scared face, his starts and pallors and sudden harkenings, unstrung me
To split (a text string) into smaller strings by separating on a delimiter.
* 1980 , Norman R. Lyons, Structured Cobol for Data Processing
- A fire is the only thing that unstrings me entirely, I feel so helpless to combat it. I'm afraid of snakes, but I can kill them.
- It is also possible to save the delimiters (this might prove useful if the delimiters were also some sort of text identifier) and to count the length of the data items we are unstringing .