Infusion vs Decoction - What's the difference?
As nouns the difference between infusion and decoction
is that infusion
is tea (infusion made from herbs
) while decoction
A product consisting of a liquid which has had other ingredients steeped in it to extract useful qualities.
The act of steeping or soaking a substance in liquid so as to extract medicinal or herbal qualities.
The act of installing a quality into a person.
* 1602 : , act V scene 1
- An extract of rooibos and chamomile makes a refreshing infusion .
(obsolete) The act of dipping into a fluid.
- [...] but in the verity of extolment / I take him to be a soul of great article and his infusion / of such dearth and rareness as, to make true diction of / him, his semblable in his mirror, and who else would / trace him, his umbrage, nothing more.
An extraction or essence of something, obtained by boiling it down.
* 1993 , Anthony Burgess, A Dead Man In Deptford
* 1994 , Jeanette Winterson, Art & Lies
- Poley offered a hot decoction of blackberries, saying: Peace?
- Witches and devils no longer threaten you and me. We don’t mind living next door to the harmless lady with her herb garden and decoction still, her black cat and red hair.