Darken vs Darkey - What's the difference?
As a verb darken
is to make dark or darker by reducing light.
As a noun darkey is
(slang|offensive|ethnic slur) a person with dark skin.
Other Comparisons: What's the difference?
To make dark or darker by reducing light.
* Bible, Exodus x. 15
To become dark or darker (having less light).
To make dark or darker in colour.
To become dark or darker in colour.
To render gloomy, darker in mood
- They [locusts] covered the face of the whole earth, so that the land was darkened .
To become gloomy, darker in mood
To blind, impair eyesight
* Bible, Rom xi. 10
- With these forced thoughts, I prithee, darken not / The mirth of the feast.
To be blinded, loose clear vision
To cloud, obscure, or perplex; to render less clear or intelligible.
* Bible, Job xxxviii. 2
- Let their eyes be darkened , that they may not see.
* Francis Bacon
- Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?
To make foul; to sully; to tarnish.
- Such was his wisdom that his confidence did seldom darken his foresight.
- I must not think there are / Evils enough to darken all his goodness.
* darken someone's door
* darky, darkie
(slang, offensive, ethnic slur) A person with dark skin.