As a noun gourmand
is a person given to excess in the consumption of food and drink; a greedy or ravenous eater.
As a verb crave is
to desire strongly, so as to satisfy an appetite; to long or yearn for.
A person given to excess in the consumption of food and drink; a greedy or ravenous eater.
*(Ben Jonson) (1572-1637)
*:That great gourmand , fat Apicius
*:The colonel and his sponsor made a queer contrast: Greystone [the sponsor] long and stringy, with a face that seemed as if a cold wind was eternally playing on it. […] But there was not a more lascivious reprobate and gourmand in all London than this same Greystone.
A person who appreciates good food.
* (person given to excess consumption) glutton, trencherman, see also
* (person who appreciates food) chowhound, gastronaut, gourmet
* (person with a special interest or knowledge of food) foodie
To desire strongly, so as to satisfy an appetite; to long or yearn for.
* Edmund Gurney
- I know I should diet more, but every afternoon I crave a soda so I have one.
To ask for earnestly.
- His path is one that eminently craves weary walking.
- I humbly crave your indulgence to read this letter until the end.
* Bible, Mark xv. 43
- I crave your honour's pardon.
- Joseph went in boldly unto Pilate, and craved the body of Jesus.