From (etyl) .
Broken into sharp or irregular points; uneven; not smooth; rough
* 1870 , (Mark Twain), Roughing It , Chapter LXV
Not neat or regular; irregular, uneven.
* 2011 , Ronke Luke-Boone, African Fabrics: Sewing Contemporary Fashion with Ethic Flair
- By and by, after a rugged climb, we halted on the summit of a hill which commanded a far-reaching view.
Rough with bristles or hair; shaggy.
* 1897 , Kate Chopin, A Morning Walk
- Commercially produced yarn, such as rayon, produces a cloth with a smoother, shinier look than hand-spun cotton, but the uneven, rugged look of hand-spun cotton can be quite appealing.
(of a person) strong, sturdy, well-built
* 2010 , Arthru Queen Jr., Young Man: Ageless Fatherly Wisdom to Hold
- His hair was light and rather thin; his face strong and rugged from exposure, and his eyes narrow and observant.
(of land) rocky and bare of plantlife
* 2013 , Vicky Baker in The Guardian ,
- Many women and men delude themselves into thinking that only the hardest and most rugged man is attractive and to many it may be the case.
Riding with the cowboys on a Mexico ranch
* 1971 , United States Forest Service, Search for solitude: our wilderness heritage
- Hidden within 30,000 acres of rugged private land, the ranch is cocooned by peaks and canyons in all directions.
Harsh; austere; hard; crabbed; -- said of temper, character, and the like, or of persons.
Stormy; turbulent; tempestuous; rude.
Harsh; grating; rough to the ear -- said of sound, style, and the like.
Sour; surly; frowning; wrinkled; -- said of looks, etc.
* 1908 , Rafael Sabatini, The Abduction
- Much of the area can be seen only by hikers who travel without trails to the higher reaches of this rugged mountain range.
Violent; rude; boisterous; -- said of conduct, manners, etc.
Vigorous; robust; hardy; -- said of health, physique, etc.
* 1909 , (Jack London), Martin Eden
- "Ah!" sighed the unimaginative Granby, and his honest, rugged face grew clouded. Pepper puffed in silence for a moment or two; then spoke.
(computing, of a computer) designed to reliably operate in harsh usage environments and conditions
* 2011 , Nick Fletcher,
- "Her gaze rested for a moment on the muscular neck, heavy corded, almost bull-like, bronzed by the sun, spilling over with rugged health and strength..."
Psion drops 2% after supply chain issues push it into loss
- Psion, which supplies a range of rugged hand held computers, has lost nearly 2% after announcing a plunge into the red.
(rug) + (-ed)
Having a rug or rugs.
Covered with a rug.
Bad-tempered or cantankerous.
* 1800(?) Robert Southey, Winter
- A wrinkled crabbed man they picture thee,
- Old Winter, with a rugged beard as grey
(of handwriting) Crowded together and difficult to read.
- As the long moss upon the apple-tree;