Composed of large parts or particles; of inferior quality or appearance; not fine in material or close in texture.
Lacking refinement, taste or delicacy;
- coarse manners
- coarse language
* Nouns to which "coarse" is often applied: language, particle, grain, graining, sand, powder, gravel, grit, salt, gold, thread, hair, cloth, grid, aggregate, texture, grass, fish, angling, fishing.
* (of inferior quality ): thick, rough, sharp, hard
* (not refined ): rough, rude, uncouth, blunt, unpolished, inelegant, indelicate, vulgar, gritty, obscene, crass
* (of inferior quality ): fine
A dog used for coursing.
A person who practises coursing.
A stone used in building a course.
A racehorse or a charger.
Any of several species of bird in the genus Cursorius of the family Glareolidae.
* bronze-winged courser, Rhinoptilus chalcopterus
* Burchell's courser, Cursorius rufus
* cream-coloured courser, Cursorius cursor
* double-banded courser, Rhinoptilus africanus
* Indian courser, Cursorius coromandelicus
* Jerdon's courser, Rhinoptilus bitorquatus
* Somali courser, Cursorius somalensis
* Temminck's courser, Cursorius temminckii
* three-banded courser, Rhinoptilus cinctus
* OED 2nd edition 1989